Sister Palmer trained at Southampton and worked as an orthopaedic ward sister before joining Testvale Surgery as Practice Nurse in 1987. In 2004 she qualified as Nurse Practitioner and as a Nurse Prescriber in 2006.
She is particularly interested in diabetes management & diagnosis and management of minor illnesses & injuries. She is also interested in womens’ health and cryotherapy.
- assess patients' physical, psychological and social needs
- diagnose and implement agreed management plans with patients
- appropriately prescribe and refer to specialists.
They work closely with the GPs to provide a comprehensive service of care and management of patients with chronic ongoing disease.
Our Nurse Practitioner is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Practice Nursing team, including training for nursing staff and health care assistants.
Our Practice Sisters and Nursing team...
- Asthma / Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) management & monitoring.
- Cardio-vascular / coronary heart disease screening / monitoring.
- Diabetes care.
- Travel vaccinations.
- Well woman including cervical cytology / contraceptive advice.
- Health advice, minor injuries, dressings, audiometry, removal of sutures, injections, ECGs, ear syringing, etc.
The nurse practitioner / practice nurse can deal with minor injuries though a doctor may not always be on the premises. In such cases you may have to wait or, if the injuries are assessed to be more than the surgery is equipped to deal with, you will be referred to a local Minor Injuries or Accident & Emergency department, as applicaple.